The Algarve has a great programme of events throughout the year and right across the region. There are fireworks and parties for New Year, carnivals at Mardi Gras and concerts throughout the summer with a variety of artists performing jazz, pop, rock and classical music.
During the summer months the list of Algarve events is endless, with open air concerts, medieval festivals, gastronomy festivals, street theatre spectaculars and of course the gorgeous weather is perfect for beach parties! If you would like see how much goes on in summer in the Algarve, have a look at a previous year's Algarve Summer Events programme.
Algarve sports events attract spectators and competitors from all over the world and include powerboat racing, kitesurfing, surfing, sailing, cycling, tennis and golf and, with the opening of the race track near Portimão, there are various motorsport events on the calendar. (For information on motorsports at the Algarve Motor Park / Autódromo Internacional do Algarve, see Portimão Events).
The Algarve has plenty on offer for art and music lovers too with cultural events throughout the year - there are art galleries in nearly every town with constantly changing exhibitions from both international and local artists as well as concerts, theatre productions and dance shows.
There are also local festivals, fairs and Algarve markets aplenty - gastronomy festivals to sample the local delicacies; craftwork fairs demonstrating the skills of local artisans like lace-makers, ceramic artists and basket makers and then historical festivals recreating medieval times and celebrating the Voyages of the Discoveries for which the western Algarve is famous. The biggest and best known markets are Loulé (every Saturday morning) and Quarteira (every Wednesday morning).
If you're not sure exactly when you're coming to the Algarve yet, check out the Algarve Annual Events programme so you don't miss out on something when you book your holiday!
Algarve Events August 2014
Here are just a few of the events that are taking place in the Algarve this month and next. You can also check out our Algarve Uncovered resort guides for specific events information. For more Algarve Events information download the Algarve Events Guide August 2014 produced by ERT Algarve – Algarve Regional Tourism Board.
Portuguese Guitar Recitals by João Cuña
Municipal museum, Faro, daily (except Mondays) to 31st July
30 minute recitals every day (except Mondays)
Tuesday to Friday at 11.00, 12.00, 14.00, 15.00, 16.00, 17.00,19.00, 20.00 & 21.00
Saturdays and Sundays on the hour from15.00 to 21.00
Loulé International Jazz Festival
Alcadaria of the Castle 1st to 3rd August at 22.00
3 nights of jazz followed by after parties at Poeta Caffé with DJ Yacobian
International Beer Festival
Vila Real de Santo António (on the water front in front of the Capitania) from 24th July to 3rd August.
Every evening from 18.00 to 01.00
Summer in Tavira 2014
A great programme of entertainment throughout July and August! These are just some of the events:
1st to 13th July - Street Theatre Festival at 10pm each evening
10th to 13th July - Festival of Portuguese Wine 6pm to midnight
12th - Folklore Festival in Praça da República from 9.30pm
16th, 23rd & 30th July - Fado in the Bandstand at 10pm
6th, 13th, 20th & 27th August - Fado in the Bandstand at 10pm
24th, 25th & 26th July - Jazz in the Palace at 10pm
17th July, 14th & 21st August - Concerts in the Galeria Palace park
For more information see TaviraUncovered events
Thursday concerts in Silves Castle
Every Thursday evening until 18th September from 18.30 to 23.00 (except 7th and 14th August)
Relaxing massages (free), music, gastronomy demonstrations and oriental dance performances..all in the magical setting of Silves castle.
Concert with Orquestra Giovani Musicisti Ossolani
Colina do Revelim de Santo António, Castro Marim
3rd August at 21.00
An evening of music with the Italian GMO
Concert with Adiafa
Praça da Republica, Tavira on 1st August at 22.00
Music in the square with traditional music from the lower Alentejo
Feira da Terra
Aljezur - Every Saturday from July 5th to 13th September 8.00 to 13.00
The best local natural products, organic foods, honey, sausages, regional confectionary and crafts.
27th Guia Chicken Festival
Guia Football Club sports complex 1st to 3rd August from 19.00
The ever popular Festa do Frango with accompanying music from traditional portuguese groups.
Ria Formosa Festival
Parque de S. Francisco, Faro from 31st July to 10th August 19.00 to 01.00
Daily show cooking, live music and the best seafood from the Ria Formosa
Armação de Pêra Bay 1st to 3rd August
Music, theatre, exhibitions,art, street entertainers, pirate bazaar and more!
where's the Party? by Carlsberg
Albufeira Marina on 15th August
Where's the Party by Carlsberg for a sunset to remember with an exclusive performance by one of the top electronic musicians - Dutch DJ and producer - Armin Van Buuren.
Sheraton Algarve & Pine Cliffs Resort, Albufeira on 8th August at 22.30
Tickets from 45€
More information at Pine Cliffs Summer Gala
Fado with Gisela João and Orquestra Clássica do Sul
Praça do Infante, Lagos on 9th August at 22.00
The Color Run Sport Zone
Portimão Marina 10th August at 18.00
A 5km fun run where it's not the speed that counts but having fun with family and friends...be ready to be "Painted" at the start!
See The Color Run for more information
29th Seafood Festival
Jardim Pescador Olhanense, Olhão 9th to 14th August.
Great seafood cooked in a variety of ways and live music every night.
Tickets 9€ adults, (14€ on 14th), children under 6 free, 7 to 12 years 4€
Olhos de Água Sardine Festival
Largo dos Pescadores, Olhos de Água from 7th to 9th August from 20.00 each evening.
20th Portimão Sardine Festival
Portimão river front 13th to 17th August 19.00 to 01.00
Starring grilled sardines accompanied by live music and entertainment for all the family!
Faro from 16th to 24th August.
Opening gala at Teatro das Figuras at 21.30 on 16th (10€).
Other days on the stage at the dockside 21.30
The hugely popular meeting of folk groups from around the world sharing their cultures.
Silves Medieval Festival
Historic centre of Silves from 8th to 17th August from 18.30 daily
This year's festival re-creates events from 1191 to 1253 - the Final Conquest. Silves is a perfect setting for this event so put it on your list of things to see!
Fairs and Exhibitions Park, Lagoa from 15th to 24th August.
Crafts, Tourism, Agriculture, Commerce and Industry - showing the region's outstanding products from the land to the sea . Live music every night on 2 stages with both national and regional artists, street entertainers, local gastronomy, wine shows, equestrian events.....don't miss it! Ticket s 3,50€ individual and 12,50€ family of 4. Open 16.00 to 01.00 weekends and 18.00 to 01.00 weekdays.
17th Medieval Days Festival
Castro Marim 28th to 31st August from 15.00 to 23.00
The castle will come to life with royalty and nobility, jesters and jugglers, jousters, tradespeople and artisans. Live demonstrations of arts and crafts like blacksmiths, goldsmiths, masons, potters, coopers and more. Street entertainers, strolling minstrels, and the medieval market complete the atmosphere.
Praça Marquês de Pombal, Vila Real de Santo António
16th August at 21.00
Jazz in the Garden
Vila Real de Santo António on Sundays in August from 18.00 to 22.00
at the gardens on the water front next to the marina.....
A bit of jazz, sunshine, a stunning view....perfect!
Fiesa 2014 Sand Sculpture Festival
Venue: Pêra (take exit 8 from A22)
Open from 25th May to 25 October. Opening hours: 10am until midnight all summer but closing at 10pm until 27th June and from 16th September to 25th October.
This year's theme is music with some 70 scenes from around the world and some sculptures reaching 12 metres in height!
At night the sculptures take on a new dimension with coloured lighting. There is also a free space where all ages can try their hand at sand sculpture.
Fiesa for more information
Algarve markets are always popular and there are great bargains to be had. The biggest and best known are the Saturday morning gypsy market in Loulé and the Wednesday morning market in Quarteira where you can buy everything from lace to pots and pans! Most towns and villages have their own local daily markets for really fresh local produce at very good prices as well as a monthly gypsy market, so there is nearly always somewhere close by if you can't resist a bargain!
- Gipsy / Flea Market on the street 'Rua da Escolas' (near the municipal canteen) on the 3rd Saturday of every month
- Market twice a month in Caliços on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month
- Monthly market in Pereiro: In front of the church, on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in Vaqueiros: (Exit to Bentos), on the 2nd Thursday of every month
- Monthly market near 'Igreja Nova' (the "new" church) on the 3rd Monday of every month.
- Market twice a month near the school in Almancil on the 1st and 4th Sunday of every month
Castro Marim market:
- Monthly market at the town marketplace on the 2nd Saturday of every month
- Monthly market in Estói: Near the food market ("Mercado Abastecedor") on the 2nd Sunday of every month
- Gipsy Market in front of Fatacil in Lagoa on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in front of Fatacil in Lagoa on the 2nd Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in Ferragudo on the 2nd Sunday of the month
- Monthly market in Estombar at the Fairs and Exhibitions Park on the last Saturday of every month
- Market, at the municipal stadium (Estádio Municipal) on the 1st Saturday every month
- Cultural Centre (on the street 'Rua da Mata') on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Weekly market on the street called 'Rua da Nossa Senhora da Piedade' every Saturday
- Gipsy / flea market in the square 'Largo dos Chorões' on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in the market square 'Largo do Mercado' on the 2nd Friday of every month
- Gipsy / Flea market at Fuzeta (near the camping site) on the 1st Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in Moncarapacho on the street called 'Rua das Olarias' on the 1st Sunday every month
- Gipsy / Flea market at the 'Fairs and Exhibition Park' in Portimão on the 1st Monday and 3rd Sunday every month
- Weekly market in 'Jardim Filipe Jonas' every Wednesday
- Monthly market, in front of the market hall on the 1st Friday of every month
São Brás de Alportel markets:
- Gipsy / Flea Market on the street 'Rua 1.º de Junho' (near the school 'Poeta Bernardo Passos') on the 3rd Sunday of every month
- Weekly Market on the street 'Rua Boaventura Passos' every Saturday
- Gipsy / Flea Market, next to the Cemetery on the 3rd Monday of every month
- Antiques / Gipsy Market on 'Avenida D. Manuel I' (near to the new market hall) on the 1st Saturday every month
- Monthly market on the street 'Rua Vale Caranguejo' on the 3rd Saturday of every month
Vila do Bispo markets:
- Monthly market (in front of the market hall in Vila do Bispo) on the 1st Thursday of every month
- Market in Barão de São Miguel on the 1st Monday of every month
Vila Real de Santo António markets:
- Monthly market in Vila Real in the square 'Praça Marques do Pombal' on the 2nd Saturday of every month
- Monthly market in Monte Gordo (next to Turismo - tourist information office) on the 4th Saturday of every month
- Monthly market in Vila Nova de Cacela, near to the market building on the 3rd Sunday of every month
Back to Top
Algarve Annual Events
January Events in the Algarve
- Festival of “Chouriças” (Sausages), which is also known as the Festival of S. Luís, the patron saint of animals in Querença .
- Janeiras Festival in Silves. The tradition of the Janeiras (seasonal songs) dates back to ancient times when, at the beginning of each year, the Romans would greet each other to evoke the god Janus who represented the guardian of the gateway to heaven.
February Events in the Algarve
- Carnivals take place across the Algarve on Shrove Tuesday and the preceding weekend. (If Easter is late, this can be in March)
- Cycling Tour of the Algarve (Volta ao Algarve)
March Events in the Algarve
- Festival of Hot bread and fresh cheese (Feira do Pão Quente e Queijo Fresco) in Vaqueiros.
- Traditional Sausage Fair in Monchique
- Gastronomy Festival of the Serra in Tavira (March/April)
April Events in the Algarve
- 'Liberation Day' on April 25th is always a reason for fireworks, music and entertainment in towns across the region.
- Vodafone Rally of Portugal - Algarve Stadium is the base for the event with superspecial stages at the beginning and close of the rally (sometimes takes place in May)
- Baja Terras d’El Rei ( off road championships) - various locations
Easter Events in the Algarve
- Folar Fairs across the Algarve with music and entertainment and a chance to try the traditional 'folar' cakes - Easter cakes with hard boiled eggs (complete with shells) on top!
- Flower Torches Festival in São Brás de Alportel on Easter Sunday
- Feast of The Sovereign Mother ('Festa Pequena') in Loulé - a tradition dating from the 16th century.
- Triumphal Procession on Palm Sunday (Sunday before Easter Sunday) in Tavira - This is a religious event that was started in the 18th century by the Carmelite Order of the City of Tavira. The procession consists of decorated litters with gilt woodwork and images depicting the life of Christ from the Mount of Olives to his death.
May Events in the Algarve
- May Day is a day for celebrations and traditionally the festivities include dancing and music as well as heading into the countryside for a picnic lunch.
- May Fair in Azinhal- A chance to see the traditional skills that are typical of the area - bobbin lace, basketwork, embroidery, tapestry and weaving of esparto grass.
- Festa da Pinha (Festival of the Pine Cone) in Estoi - a traditional festival to celebrate spring
- "The Gastronomy of the Sea" - Festival in Tavira
- Snail Festival in Castro Marim
- International sand sculpture festival at Pêra from May to October
June Events in the Algarve
- 'Feira da Terra' (local produce market) in Aljezur on 1st Saturday of each month from June to October
- Handicrafts Fair in Alcoutim
- Popular Saints Festivals across the Algarve celebrating St. Anthony, St. John and St. Peter. The warm nights are filled with the aromas of barbecues and grilled sardines as the towns and villages celebrate, often partying until the small hours!
- Portuguese Gastronomy week in Lagoa
- Caldeirada (Fish stew) Festival in Armação de Pêra
- "Pleasures of the Sea" Festival in Aljezur - gastronomy, music, entertainment
- "Festival Med" in Loulé- mediterranean music, gastronomy and handicrafts
July Events in the Algarve
- "Arte Doce" Competition and Fair in Lagos - a wide range of traditional sweets as an art form! Also musical entertainment in the evenings
- Loulé Handicraft Fair
- Fair of the Serra in São Brás de Alportel
- Fair of Traditional Smoked Ham in Monchique
- Algarve International Motorbike meeting in Faro
August Events in the Algarve
- The festival of 'Our Lady of the Oracle' (the patron saint of Albufeira fishermen)
- Municipal Day in Albufeira with lots of entertainment and fireworks
- Vaqueiros Festival (near Alcoutim)
- Burgau Festival
- Barão de S. Miguel festivals
- FATACIL in Lagoa - It is the major fair of handicrafts, tourism, agriculture, business and industry in the Algarve and also includes horse shows, evening entertainment and gastronomy
- Medieval Fair in Silves
- Medieval Fair in Castro Marim
- Sardine Festival in Portimão - live music and entertainment, plus, of course, barbecued sardines!
- Shellfish Festival in Olhão - a major event with live music every night
September Events in the Algarve
- Fishermen's festival at Praia dos Pescadores in Albufeira including a gastronomy festival
- Festival in Alcoutim
- Festival in Martinlongo
October Events in the Algarve
- Santa Iria Fair in Faro - lots of entertainment, fairground rides and stalls at this 400 year old fair.
- Festival in honour of Nossa Senhora da Alva in Aljezur
- Festival and fair in Raposeira
- AgroExpo in Vila do Bispo – A fair of economic activities, tourism, gastronomy, handicrafts and livestock farming. Another essential ingredient is evening entertainment, with plenty of music on four consecutive days
- Partridge Fair in Martim Longo
- Sweet Potato Festival in Aljezur
- Gastronomy fortnight in Almancil
- Portugal Masters in Vilamoura for the golf enthusiasts
- Annual Fair in Monchique
November Events in the Algarve
- St. Martin's Fair in Portimão
- Gastronomy week in Messines
- Casinos do Algarve Rally with stages in Portimão and Monchique
December Events in the Algarve
- Loulé Mountain Fair - The aim of this festival is to enable people to find out more about the diversity and popular culture of the parishes of the “Serra do Caldeirão”. Visitors will be able to get a close up view of handicrafts, a variety of products, gastronomy, ethnography and the traditions of the upland regions.
- Albufeira Christmas Grand Prix - a 9km run and a 3km Father Christmas Walk
Back to Top