The Algarve has a great programme of events throughout the year and right across the region. There are fireworks and parties for New Year, carnivals at Mardi Gras and concerts throughout the summer with a variety of artists performing jazz, pop, rock and classical music.
During the summer months the list of Algarve events is endless, with open air concerts, medieval festivals, gastronomy festivals, street theatre spectaculars and of course the gorgeous weather is perfect for beach parties! If you would like see how much goes on in summer in the Algarve, have a look at a previous year's Algarve Summer Events programme.
Algarve sports events attract spectators and competitors from all over the world and include powerboat racing, kitesurfing, surfing, sailing, cycling, tennis and golf and, with the opening of the race track near Portimão, there are various motorsport events on the calendar. (For information on motorsports at the Algarve Motor Park / Autódromo Internacional do Algarve, see Portimão Events).
The Algarve has plenty on offer for art and music lovers too with cultural events throughout the year - there are art galleries in nearly every town with constantly changing exhibitions from both international and local artists as well as concerts, theatre productions and dance shows.
There are also local festivals, fairs and Algarve markets aplenty - gastronomy festivals to sample the local delicacies; craftwork fairs demonstrating the skills of local artisans like lace-makers, ceramic artists and basket makers and then historical festivals recreating medieval times and celebrating the Voyages of the Discoveries for which the western Algarve is famous. The biggest and best known markets are Loulé (every Saturday morning) and Quarteira (every Wednesday morning).
If you're not sure exactly when you're coming to the Algarve yet, check out the Algarve Annual Events programme so you don't miss out on something when you book your holiday!
Algarve Events July 2014
Here are just a few of the events that are taking place in the Algarve this month and next. You can also check out our Algarve Uncovered resort guides for specific events information. For more Algarve Events information download the Algarve Events Guide July 2014 produced by ERT Algarve – Algarve Regional Tourism Board.
Portuguese Guitar Recitals by João Cuña
Municipal museum, Faro, daily (except Mondays) to 31st July
30 minute recitals every day (except Mondays)
Tuesday to Friday at 11.00, 12.00, 14.00, 15.00, 16.00 and 17.00
Saturdays and Sundays at 11.00, 12.00, 14.00, 15.00 and 16.00
Pirates and Corsairs Festival
Albufeira Marina 11th to 13th July from 18.00 to 24.00
A journey back to the times when the coast of Portugal was under regular attack by pirates and corsairs - activities and entertainment for all the family!
Summer in Tavira 2014
A great programme of entertainment throughout July and August! These are just some of the events:
1st to 13th July - Street Theatre Festival at 10pm each evening
10th to 13th July - Festival of Portuguese Wine 6pm to midnight
12th - Folklore Festival in Praça da República from 9.30pm
16th, 23rd & 30th July - Fado in the Bandstand at 10pm
6th, 13th, 20th & 27th August - Fado in the Bandstand at 10pm
24th, 25th & 26th July - Jazz in the Palace at 10pm
17th July, 14th & 21st August - Concerts in the Galeria Palace park
For more information see TaviraUncovered events
Thursday concerts in Silves Castle
Every Thursday evening until 18th September from 18.30 to 23.00 (except 7th and 14th August)
Relaxing massages (free), music, gastronomy demonstrations and oriental dance performances..all in the magical setting of Silves castle.
Festival of Medieval Arts - "Salir do Tempo"
Salir (near Loulé) 11th to 13th July
History comes alive as the village steps back in time to the middle of the 13th century - the time in the Reconquista when, in this area of the Iberian peninsula, the Christians were taking control from the Muslims. Traditional music, crafts and entertainment.
Fun Zone for the World Cup
Jardim Manuel Bivar, Faro from 6th June to 20th July
Throughout the World Cup the gardens and area by the dockside will have big screens to watch all the matches, two stages with various entertainment, a children's entertainment area and of course - eats and drinks stands!
It's always a great atmosphere here in the Algarve and there will be big screens just about everywhere! So where better to enjoy the footie?
Feira da Terra
Aljezur - Every Saturday from July 5th to 13th September 8.00 to 13.00
The best local natural products, organic foods, honey, sausages, regional confectionary and crafts.
Vila Adentro in Faro 2nd to 6th July from 19.00 to 01.00
A souk full of arabian magic and enchantment including camel rides, belly dancers, snake charmers and unique oriental crafts.
Entry 5€ (free under 6).Family tickets (2 + 2) 15€
Five day pass - 20€
Orpheus and Eurydice by the National Ballet Company
Teatro das Figuras, Faro on 11th July at 21.30
Tickets 12€ and 14€
This version was commissioned by the National Ballet Company to commemorate Gluck's 300th birthday
Castro Marim Craft Fair
Castro Marim football ground 25th to 27th July from 17.00 to 24.00
Roteiro dos Petiscos
Participating restaurants in Faro to 13th July
Promoting the traditional delicious savoury snacks (petiscos)
Algarve Classic Cars
Vilamoura 11th to 13th July
Noites D'Encanto (Enchanted Nights)
Cacela Velha 17th to 20th July from 18.00 to 24.00
A souk, donkey rides, arabian percussion and oriental dance workshops,street entertainment, music and dance - going back to the times when the little port was a trading hub with boats arriving from the eastern mediterranean countries
Fiesa 2014 Sand Sculpture Festival
Venue: Pêra (take exit 8 from A22)
Open from 25th May to 25 October. Opening hours: 10am until midnight all summer but closing at 10pm until 27th June and from 16th September to 25th October.
This year's theme is music with some 70 scenes from around the world and some sculptures reaching 12 metres in height!
At night the sculptures take on a new dimension with coloured lighting. There is also a free space where all ages can try their hand at sand sculpture.
Fiesa for more information
Superbike World Championship
Algarve International Autodrome, Portimão 4th to 6th July
Ferrari Challenge - EuroGT Sprint
Algarve International Autodrome near Portimão 18th to 20th July
Faro Moto Clube Bikers Meet
Faro 17th to 20th July
Bikers from all over Europe travel to Faro for this event...24 hour bars, live music every night, tattoo competitions, Miss Wet T-Shirt and more!!
Full information on Moto Clube Faro
27th Confectionary Fair and Competition
Lagos Sports complex 25th to 27th July from 18.00 to 24.00
Showing off the skilled craftsmanship involved in making the delicious regional sweets - if you've got a sweet tooth then this is the place to go! Displays of craft work and musical entertainment too.
Feira da Serra 2014
São Brás de Alportel 25th to 27th July
Grounds of School E B 2,3 Poeta Bernardo de Passos
19.00 to 02.00
Showcasing produce, products and crafts from the hills with musical entertainment too
Medronho Festival and Traditional Presunto Fair
Monchique - 25th to 27th July from 16.00
Monchique is justly proud of it's traditional cured hams and there is no better place to sample Medronho than the hills where it's distilled!
Music and entertainment too, of course!
Jazz in the Garden
Vila Real de Santo António on 20th and 27th July from 18.00 to 22.00
at the gardens on the water front next to the marina.....
A bit of jazz, sunshine, a stunning view....perfect!
International Beer Festival
Vila Real de Santo António (on the water front in front of the Capitania) from 24th July to 3rd August.
Every evening from 18.00 to 01.00
Algarve markets are always popular and there are great bargains to be had. The biggest and best known are the Saturday morning gypsy market in Loulé and the Wednesday morning market in Quarteira where you can buy everything from lace to pots and pans! Most towns and villages have their own local daily markets for really fresh local produce at very good prices as well as a monthly gypsy market, so there is nearly always somewhere close by if you can't resist a bargain!
- Gipsy / Flea Market on the street 'Rua da Escolas' (near the municipal canteen) on the 3rd Saturday of every month
- Market twice a month in Caliços on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month
- Monthly market in Pereiro: In front of the church, on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in Vaqueiros: (Exit to Bentos), on the 2nd Thursday of every month
- Monthly market near 'Igreja Nova' (the "new" church) on the 3rd Monday of every month.
- Market twice a month near the school in Almancil on the 1st and 4th Sunday of every month
Castro Marim market:
- Monthly market at the town marketplace on the 2nd Saturday of every month
- Monthly market in Estói: Near the food market ("Mercado Abastecedor") on the 2nd Sunday of every month
- Gipsy Market in front of Fatacil in Lagoa on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in front of Fatacil in Lagoa on the 2nd Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in Ferragudo on the 2nd Sunday of the month
- Monthly market in Estombar at the Fairs and Exhibitions Park on the last Saturday of every month
- Market, at the municipal stadium (Estádio Municipal) on the 1st Saturday every month
- Cultural Centre (on the street 'Rua da Mata') on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Weekly market on the street called 'Rua da Nossa Senhora da Piedade' every Saturday
- Gipsy / flea market in the square 'Largo dos Chorões' on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in the market square 'Largo do Mercado' on the 2nd Friday of every month
- Gipsy / Flea market at Fuzeta (near the camping site) on the 1st Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in Moncarapacho on the street called 'Rua das Olarias' on the 1st Sunday every month
- Gipsy / Flea market at the 'Fairs and Exhibition Park' in Portimão on the 1st Monday and 3rd Sunday every month
- Weekly market in 'Jardim Filipe Jonas' every Wednesday
- Monthly market, in front of the market hall on the 1st Friday of every month
São Brás de Alportel markets:
- Gipsy / Flea Market on the street 'Rua 1.º de Junho' (near the school 'Poeta Bernardo Passos') on the 3rd Sunday of every month
- Weekly Market on the street 'Rua Boaventura Passos' every Saturday
- Gipsy / Flea Market, next to the Cemetery on the 3rd Monday of every month
- Antiques / Gipsy Market on 'Avenida D. Manuel I' (near to the new market hall) on the 1st Saturday every month
- Monthly market on the street 'Rua Vale Caranguejo' on the 3rd Saturday of every month
Vila do Bispo markets:
- Monthly market (in front of the market hall in Vila do Bispo) on the 1st Thursday of every month
- Market in Barão de São Miguel on the 1st Monday of every month
Vila Real de Santo António markets:
- Monthly market in Vila Real in the square 'Praça Marques do Pombal' on the 2nd Saturday of every month
- Monthly market in Monte Gordo (next to Turismo - tourist information office) on the 4th Saturday of every month
- Monthly market in Vila Nova de Cacela, near to the market building on the 3rd Sunday of every month
Back to Top
Algarve Annual Events
January Events in the Algarve
- Festival of “Chouriças” (Sausages), which is also known as the Festival of S. Luís, the patron saint of animals in Querença .
- Janeiras Festival in Silves. The tradition of the Janeiras (seasonal songs) dates back to ancient times when, at the beginning of each year, the Romans would greet each other to evoke the god Janus who represented the guardian of the gateway to heaven.
February Events in the Algarve
- Carnivals take place across the Algarve on Shrove Tuesday and the preceding weekend. (If Easter is late, this can be in March)
- Cycling Tour of the Algarve (Volta ao Algarve)
March Events in the Algarve
- Festival of Hot bread and fresh cheese (Feira do Pão Quente e Queijo Fresco) in Vaqueiros.
- Traditional Sausage Fair in Monchique
- Gastronomy Festival of the Serra in Tavira (March/April)
April Events in the Algarve
- 'Liberation Day' on April 25th is always a reason for fireworks, music and entertainment in towns across the region.
- Vodafone Rally of Portugal - Algarve Stadium is the base for the event with superspecial stages at the beginning and close of the rally (sometimes takes place in May)
- Baja Terras d’El Rei ( off road championships) - various locations
Easter Events in the Algarve
- Folar Fairs across the Algarve with music and entertainment and a chance to try the traditional 'folar' cakes - Easter cakes with hard boiled eggs (complete with shells) on top!
- Flower Torches Festival in São Brás de Alportel on Easter Sunday
- Feast of The Sovereign Mother ('Festa Pequena') in Loulé - a tradition dating from the 16th century.
- Triumphal Procession on Palm Sunday (Sunday before Easter Sunday) in Tavira - This is a religious event that was started in the 18th century by the Carmelite Order of the City of Tavira. The procession consists of decorated litters with gilt woodwork and images depicting the life of Christ from the Mount of Olives to his death.
May Events in the Algarve
- May Day is a day for celebrations and traditionally the festivities include dancing and music as well as heading into the countryside for a picnic lunch.
- May Fair in Azinhal- A chance to see the traditional skills that are typical of the area - bobbin lace, basketwork, embroidery, tapestry and weaving of esparto grass.
- Festa da Pinha (Festival of the Pine Cone) in Estoi - a traditional festival to celebrate spring
- "The Gastronomy of the Sea" - Festival in Tavira
- Snail Festival in Castro Marim
- International sand sculpture festival at Pêra from May to October
June Events in the Algarve
- 'Feira da Terra' (local produce market) in Aljezur on 1st Saturday of each month from June to October
- Handicrafts Fair in Alcoutim
- Popular Saints Festivals across the Algarve celebrating St. Anthony, St. John and St. Peter. The warm nights are filled with the aromas of barbecues and grilled sardines as the towns and villages celebrate, often partying until the small hours!
- Portuguese Gastronomy week in Lagoa
- Caldeirada (Fish stew) Festival in Armação de Pêra
- "Pleasures of the Sea" Festival in Aljezur - gastronomy, music, entertainment
- "Festival Med" in Loulé- mediterranean music, gastronomy and handicrafts
July Events in the Algarve
- "Arte Doce" Competition and Fair in Lagos - a wide range of traditional sweets as an art form! Also musical entertainment in the evenings
- Loulé Handicraft Fair
- Fair of the Serra in São Brás de Alportel
- Fair of Traditional Smoked Ham in Monchique
- Algarve International Motorbike meeting in Faro
August Events in the Algarve
- The festival of 'Our Lady of the Oracle' (the patron saint of Albufeira fishermen)
- Municipal Day in Albufeira with lots of entertainment and fireworks
- Vaqueiros Festival (near Alcoutim)
- Burgau Festival
- Barão de S. Miguel festivals
- FATACIL in Lagoa - It is the major fair of handicrafts, tourism, agriculture, business and industry in the Algarve and also includes horse shows, evening entertainment and gastronomy
- Medieval Fair in Silves
- Medieval Fair in Castro Marim
- Sardine Festival in Portimão - live music and entertainment, plus, of course, barbecued sardines!
- Shellfish Festival in Olhão - a major event with live music every night
September Events in the Algarve
- Fishermen's festival at Praia dos Pescadores in Albufeira including a gastronomy festival
- Festival in Alcoutim
- Festival in Martinlongo
October Events in the Algarve
- Santa Iria Fair in Faro - lots of entertainment, fairground rides and stalls at this 400 year old fair.
- Festival in honour of Nossa Senhora da Alva in Aljezur
- Festival and fair in Raposeira
- AgroExpo in Vila do Bispo – A fair of economic activities, tourism, gastronomy, handicrafts and livestock farming. Another essential ingredient is evening entertainment, with plenty of music on four consecutive days
- Partridge Fair in Martim Longo
- Sweet Potato Festival in Aljezur
- Gastronomy fortnight in Almancil
- Portugal Masters in Vilamoura for the golf enthusiasts
- Annual Fair in Monchique
November Events in the Algarve
- St. Martin's Fair in Portimão
- Gastronomy week in Messines
- Casinos do Algarve Rally with stages in Portimão and Monchique
December Events in the Algarve
- Loulé Mountain Fair - The aim of this festival is to enable people to find out more about the diversity and popular culture of the parishes of the “Serra do Caldeirão”. Visitors will be able to get a close up view of handicrafts, a variety of products, gastronomy, ethnography and the traditions of the upland regions.
- Albufeira Christmas Grand Prix - a 9km run and a 3km Father Christmas Walk
Back to Top