The Algarve has a great programme of events throughout the year, from traditional weekly markets to famous annual events. There are fireworks and parties for New Year, carnivals at Mardi Gras and during the summer months the list of Algarve events is endless, with open air concerts, medieval festivals, gastronomy festivals, street theatre spectaculars and of course the gorgeous weather is perfect for beach parties!
Algarve sports events attract spectators and competitors from all over the world and include golf, powerboat racing, kitesurfing, surfing, sailing, cycling, tennis and, with the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve race track near Portimão, there are various motorsport events on the calendar.
The Algarve has plenty on offer for art and music lovers too with cultural events throughout the year - there are art galleries in nearly every town with constantly changing exhibitions from both international and local artists as well as concerts, theatre productions and dance shows.
There are also local festivals and fairs - gastronomy festivals to sample the local delicacies; craftwork fairs demonstrating the skills of local artisans like lace-makers, ceramic artists and basket makers and then historical festivals recreating medieval times and celebrating the Voyages of the Discoveries for which the western Algarve is famous.
Algarve Events Highlights November - December 2014
Here are just a few of the events that are taking place in the Algarve this month and next. For more Algarve Events information download the Algarve Events Guide November 2014 produced by ERT Algarve – Algarve Regional Tourism Board.
Also check out Cultugarve for a great range of cultural and music events in the Algarve (including bar and club nights)!
Aljezur Sweet Potato Festival | Festival Da Batata-doce de Aljezur
Restaurants & taverns lay on a variety of sweet potato dishes & there's also crafts, traditional sweets, cooking demonstrations & wine tasting!
Held at the "Espaço Multiusos" in Alezjur, western Algarve from 28th to 30th November.
Faro Organ Festival | Festival De Órgão 2014
The Organ Festival Faro celebrates the musical heritage with a variety of different church ("igreja") concerts from Portuguese musicians.
1st: André Bandeira – Igreja do Carmo | 8th: Daniel Ribeiro – Igreja do Carmo | 15th: Rui Soares – Igreja da Sé | 22nd: José Carlos Araújo – Igreja da Sé | 29th: Pavel Cerný – Igreja da Sé
Entrance is free.
Christmas Land at Zoo Lagos | Natalândia no Zoo Lagos
Experience the magic of Christmas in the Algarve at our famous zoo, with reindeer, elves, snow, Christmas fair, Father Christmas & of course lots of lovely animals!
From 7 December '14 - 7 January '15, every day 10am - 5pm; feeding of the pelicans 11.30 & 3pm, primates at 3pm. Zoo Lagos website.
Maxi Endurance 32H
The longest circuit endurance race in the world! Under ideal conditions, new world records for endurance motor sports will be defined!
At Autódromo Internacional do Algarve in Portimão from 12th to 14th December. Entry €5 (3 days). Autodromo do Algarve | Maxi Endurance
9th Edition of the Gastronomic Week | 9.ª Edicao da Semana Gastronomica
Enjoy traditional gastronomy & local products of São Bartolomeu de Messines at participating restaurants, with stalls of sweets & regional wines too!
From 29th November to 8 December, with entertainment, Fado & other music. Organised by Messines Council
Fair Serra 2014 in Loulé | Feira da Serra 2014
With craft exhibitors & agriculture from the Algarve hills you can see traditions such as basketry, metalwork & pottery & taste regional foods such as sweets & sausages. Great event & a massive dose of Algarve culture!
6th December, 10am to 6pm at Avenida José da Costa Mealha in Loulé.
Vila Real de Santo António Christmas Village | Aldeia de Natal
Christmas Fair, ice rink, amusements for the kids, gastronomy, sweets & street entertainment! Father Christmas arrives 28th November at 6pm & there's a dance show at 3.30pm on the 29th!
28th November to 6th January, every day from 10am to 8pm in Praça Marquês de Pombal square Vila Real de Santo António. Free entry.
Algarve markets are always popular and they are a great place to soak up the local culture. The biggest and best known are the Saturday morning gypsy market in Loulé and the Wednesday morning market in Quarteira, where you can buy everything from lace to pots and pans! Most towns and villages have their own local daily markets for really fresh (and cheap) local produce as well as a monthly gypsy market, so there is nearly always somewhere close by if you can't resist a bargain!
- Gipsy / Flea Market on the street 'Rua da Escolas' (near the municipal canteen) on the 3rd Saturday of every month
- Market twice a month in Caliços on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month
- Monthly market in Pereiro: In front of the church, on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in Vaqueiros: (Exit to Bentos), on the 2nd Thursday of every month
- Monthly market near 'Igreja Nova' (the "new" church) on the 3rd Monday of every month.
- Market twice a month near the school in Almancil on the 1st and 4th Sunday of every month
Castro Marim market:
- Monthly market at the town marketplace on the 2nd Saturday of every month
- Monthly market in Estói: Near the food market ("Mercado Abastecedor") on the 2nd Sunday of every month
- Gipsy Market in front of Fatacil in Lagoa on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in front of Fatacil in Lagoa on the 2nd Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in Ferragudo on the 2nd Sunday of the month
- Monthly market in Estombar at the Fairs and Exhibitions Park on the last Saturday of every month
- Market, at the municipal stadium (Estádio Municipal) on the 1st Saturday every month
- Cultural Centre (on the street 'Rua da Mata') on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Weekly market on the street called 'Rua da Nossa Senhora da Piedade' every Saturday
- Gipsy / flea market in the square 'Largo dos Chorões' on the 4th Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in the market square 'Largo do Mercado' on the 2nd Friday of every month
- Gipsy / Flea market at Fuzeta (near the camping site) on the 1st Sunday of every month
- Monthly market in Moncarapacho on the street called 'Rua das Olarias' on the 1st Sunday every month
- Gipsy / Flea market at the 'Fairs and Exhibition Park' in Portimão on the 1st Monday and 3rd Sunday every month
- Weekly market in 'Jardim Filipe Jonas' every Wednesday
- Monthly market, in front of the market hall on the 1st Friday of every month
São Brás de Alportel markets:
- Gipsy / Flea Market on the street 'Rua 1.º de Junho' (near the school 'Poeta Bernardo Passos') on the 3rd Sunday of every month
- Weekly Market on the street 'Rua Boaventura Passos' every Saturday
- Gipsy / Flea Market, next to the Cemetery on the 3rd Monday of every month
- Antiques / Gipsy Market on 'Avenida D. Manuel I' (near to the new market hall) on the 1st Saturday every month
- Monthly market on the street 'Rua Vale Caranguejo' on the 3rd Saturday of every month
Vila do Bispo markets:
- Monthly market (in front of the market hall in Vila do Bispo) on the 1st Thursday of every month
- Market in Barão de São Miguel on the 1st Monday of every month
Vila Real de Santo António markets:
- Monthly market in Vila Real in the square 'Praça Marques do Pombal' on the 2nd Saturday of every month
- Monthly market in Monte Gordo (next to Turismo - tourist information office) on the 4th Saturday of every month
- Monthly market in Vila Nova de Cacela, near to the market building on the 3rd Sunday of every month
Back to Top
Algarve Annual Events
January Events in the Algarve
- Festival of “Chouriças” (Sausages), which is also known as the Festival of S. Luís, the patron saint of animals in Querença .
- Janeiras Festival in Silves. The tradition of the Janeiras (seasonal songs) dates back to ancient times when, at the beginning of each year, the Romans would greet each other to evoke the god Janus who represented the guardian of the gateway to heaven.
February Events in the Algarve
- Carnivals take place across the Algarve on Shrove Tuesday and the preceding weekend. (If Easter is late, this can be in March)
- Cycling Tour of the Algarve (Volta ao Algarve)
March Events in the Algarve
- Festival of Hot bread and fresh cheese (Feira do Pão Quente e Queijo Fresco) in Vaqueiros.
- Traditional Sausage Fair in Monchique
- Gastronomy Festival of the Serra in Tavira (March/April)
April Events in the Algarve
- 'Liberation Day' on April 25th is always a reason for fireworks, music and entertainment in towns across the region.
- Vodafone Rally of Portugal - Algarve Stadium is the base for the event with superspecial stages at the beginning and close of the rally (sometimes takes place in May)
- Baja Terras d’El Rei ( off road championships) - various locations
Easter Events in the Algarve
- Folar Fairs across the Algarve with music and entertainment and a chance to try the traditional 'folar' cakes - Easter cakes with hard boiled eggs (complete with shells) on top!
- Flower Torches Festival in São Brás de Alportel on Easter Sunday
- Feast of The Sovereign Mother ('Festa Pequena') in Loulé - a tradition dating from the 16th century.
- Triumphal Procession on Palm Sunday (Sunday before Easter Sunday) in Tavira - This is a religious event that was started in the 18th century by the Carmelite Order of the City of Tavira. The procession consists of decorated litters with gilt woodwork and images depicting the life of Christ from the Mount of Olives to his death.
May Events in the Algarve
- May Day is a day for celebrations and traditionally the festivities include dancing and music as well as heading into the countryside for a picnic lunch.
- May Fair in Azinhal- A chance to see the traditional skills that are typical of the area - bobbin lace, basketwork, embroidery, tapestry and weaving of esparto grass.
- Festa da Pinha (Festival of the Pine Cone) in Estoi - a traditional festival to celebrate spring
- "The Gastronomy of the Sea" - Festival in Tavira
- Snail Festival in Castro Marim
- International sand sculpture festival at Pêra from May to October
June Events in the Algarve
- 'Feira da Terra' (local produce market) in Aljezur on 1st Saturday of each month from June to October
- Handicrafts Fair in Alcoutim
- Popular Saints Festivals across the Algarve celebrating St. Anthony, St. John and St. Peter. The warm nights are filled with the aromas of barbecues and grilled sardines as the towns and villages celebrate, often partying until the small hours!
- Portuguese Gastronomy week in Lagoa
- Caldeirada (Fish stew) Festival in Armação de Pêra
- "Pleasures of the Sea" Festival in Aljezur - gastronomy, music, entertainment
- "Festival Med" in Loulé- mediterranean music, gastronomy and handicrafts
July Events in the Algarve
- "Arte Doce" Competition and Fair in Lagos - a wide range of traditional sweets as an art form! Also musical entertainment in the evenings
- Loulé Handicraft Fair
- Fair of the Serra in São Brás de Alportel
- Fair of Traditional Smoked Ham in Monchique
- Algarve International Motorbike meeting in Faro
August Events in the Algarve
- The festival of 'Our Lady of the Oracle' (the patron saint of Albufeira fishermen)
- Municipal Day in Albufeira with lots of entertainment and fireworks
- Vaqueiros Festival (near Alcoutim)
- Burgau Festival
- Barão de S. Miguel festivals
- FATACIL in Lagoa - It is the major fair of handicrafts, tourism, agriculture, business and industry in the Algarve and also includes horse shows, evening entertainment and gastronomy
- Medieval Fair in Silves
- Medieval Fair in Castro Marim
- Sardine Festival in Portimão - live music and entertainment, plus, of course, barbecued sardines!
- Shellfish Festival in Olhão - a major event with live music every night
September Events in the Algarve
- Fishermen's festival at Praia dos Pescadores in Albufeira including a gastronomy festival
- Festival in Alcoutim
- Festival in Martinlongo
October Events in the Algarve
- Santa Iria Fair in Faro - lots of entertainment, fairground rides and stalls at this 400 year old fair.
- Festival in honour of Nossa Senhora da Alva in Aljezur
- Festival and fair in Raposeira
- AgroExpo in Vila do Bispo – A fair of economic activities, tourism, gastronomy, handicrafts and livestock farming. Another essential ingredient is evening entertainment, with plenty of music on four consecutive days
- Partridge Fair in Martim Longo
- Sweet Potato Festival in Aljezur
- Gastronomy fortnight in Almancil
- Portugal Masters in Vilamoura for the golf enthusiasts
- Annual Fair in Monchique
November Events in the Algarve
- St. Martin's Fair in Portimão
- Gastronomy week in Messines
- Casinos do Algarve Rally with stages in Portimão and Monchique
December Events in the Algarve
- Loulé Mountain Fair - The aim of this festival is to enable people to find out more about the diversity and popular culture of the parishes of the “Serra do Caldeirão”. Visitors will be able to get a close up view of handicrafts, a variety of products, gastronomy, ethnography and the traditions of the upland regions.
- Albufeira Christmas Grand Prix - a 9km run and a 3km Father Christmas Walk
Back to Top