Algarve Car Hire - Uncovered!
Whether Algarve car hire is essential to your holiday or if you simply want to get out and explore, you can get the best rental deal right here!
All of the well-known car rental companies operate in Portugal, for example Hertz, Avis, Europcar and Budget and you can compare their prices along with local Algarve car hire companies. Car hire can be collected directly from Faro Airport or the rental company will take you to a collection point near the airport by bus. Car rental representatives have a designated area on the right of the Arrivals area at the airport and you can see all of the car hire boards as you walk through. If you have transfers included in your holiday package you can arrange car hire collection from your resort, or similarly if you just want to hire a car for a few days.
Algarve car rental and Portugal travel information:
For car hire in Portugal you will need to show your passport and driving licence and either leave an imprint of your credit card as a deposit or pay cash, which will be refunded on return of the vehicle. Most car hire companies include full comprehensive insurance in the price, but what is not normally included is "SCDW" (super collision damage waiver) - this protects you against paying the excess in event of any damage to the car. On a normal small family car the excess can be anything from 600€ to 1000€ and the premium payable to protect it costs, on average, around 7€ a day. The minimum age for hiring a car in Portugal is 21, but rental companies may vary on this. Visit our Algarve Travel page for more information about driving in the Algarve.
Tips for booking Algarve car hire:
- Don't just compare the basic charges per day, check what is included in the price and what extras you may need to pay for, e.g. Super Collision Damage Waiver, surcharges for resort or hotel delivery, child seat.
- If you need a baby seat or booster seat, check if the cost is per day or a total cost for the duration of your car hire.
- Check what the minimum age of the driver(s) can be - although legally it is 21, some companies will only rent to people 25 years or over.
- If you are planning on visiting Spain, check if the car hire company charges an additional insurance fee.
- If you are hiring a car during the peak summer months, make sure the vehicle has air conditioning. Also Algarve car hire may be in short supply over the summer (and it will also be more expensive) so it is advisable to pre-book to get the car you want at the best rate.
- If you want to arrange car hire once you have arrived on holiday, there are several car hire offices in each of the popular tourist resorts; even in the smaller towns there are tourist booking offices which offer attraction tickets, tours, transfers and car hire.