Algarve Car Hire - Uncovered!
Whether a car is essential to your holiday or if you simply want to uncover amazing places, you can get the best Algarve car hire deal right here!
All of the well-known car rental companies operate in Portugal, for example Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Budget, Thifty and Guerin and there are lots of local companies too. You can pick-up your hire car from Faro Airport, either directly outside or the rental company will take you to a collection point near the airport by bus. Car rental representatives have a designated area on the right of the Arrivals area at the airport and you can see all of the car hire boards as you walk through. If you have transfers included in your holiday package you can arrange car hire collection from your resort, whether it be for the duration of your holiday or just for a few days.
Get the best deal on your Algarve car hire
Make sure you get a great deal on your Algarve car hire and compare quotes and prices with the leading suppliers in Portugal!
Tips for booking Algarve car hire:
- Don't just compare the basic charges per day, check what is included in the price and what extras you may need to pay for, e.g. Super Collision Damage Waiver, surcharges for resort or hotel delivery, child seat.
- Check what the minimum age of the driver(s) can be - although legally it is 21, some companies will only rent to people 25 years or over.
- If you are planning on visiting Spain, check if the car hire company charges an additional insurance fee.
- If you are hiring a car during the peak summer months, make sure the vehicle has air conditioning. Also it's advisable to pre-book to get the car you want at the best rate.
- If you want to arrange car hire once you're here on holiday, you can either pop back online to us or there are car hire offices in each of the main Algarve resorts.
Algarve car rental and Portugal travel information:
For car hire in Portugal you will need to show your passport and driving licence and either leave an imprint of your credit card as a deposit or pay cash, which will be refunded on return of the vehicle. Most car hire companies include full comprehensive insurance in the price, but what is not normally included is "SCDW" (super collision damage waiver) - this protects you against paying the excess in event of any damage to the car. On a normal small family car the excess can be anything from 600€ to 1000€ and the premium payable to protect it costs, on average, around 7€ a day. The minimum age for hiring a car in Portugal is 21, but rental companies may vary on this. See Algarve Travel for more information about driving in the Algarve.