The Strip in AlbufeiraAs the most popular holiday resort in the Algarve, Albufeira has become famous for many reasons, but most notably for Albufeira Strip, Montechoro - Areias de São João, known as "the Strip"
Albufeira Strip, as the name suggests, is a long road, Avenida Dr. Francisco Sà Carneiro, running through both Montechoro and Areias de São João; and hence there is the ‘north strip’ in Montechoro and the ‘south strip’ in Areias de São João.
Albufeira Strip – The ‘north – south divide’
Quite surprisingly, although it is only a zebra crossing that marks the division between the ‘south strip’ in Areias de São João and the north in Montechoro, the two parts are quite different. The south end is simply bustling, with bars, restaurants, shops and tattoo parlours tightly packed in next to each other, with the sound of sports on TV to be heard and restaurant workers ‘touting’ for your custom. However, the ‘north strip’ is somewhat calmer, with some designer clothes and sunglasses shops, wine shops, more spacing between businesses and garden areas towards the far end where Hotel Montechoro is.
Hotels near Albufeira Strip
- Mirachoro I – Apartments for up to 4 people in Montechoro. Outdoor pool, free shuttle bus to Oura Beach and Albufeira Old Town.
- Montechoro Clube 99 Apartments 3* – Self catering apartments and villas for up to 8 people. Outdoor pool, tennis, squash, games room, fitness centre, sauna. Restaurant is available at the adjacent Montechoro hotel.
- Montechoro Hotel 4* – Right at the end of Avenida Dr. Francisco Sà Carneiro at the north end of Albufeira Strip. Hotel facilities include outdoor pool, tennis, squash, games room, restaurants and free shuttle buses to Oura Beach and Albufeira Old Town.
- Vila Petra 4* – Studios and 1 and 2 bed apartments, tennis, outdoor and indoor pools, gym, jacuzzi, free shuttle bus to Oura beach. 2 minutes from the north end of Albufeira Strip in Montechoro.
- Vilanova Resort 3* – Studios, apartments and villas taking up to 8 people located on the south of the Strip in Areias de São João. The complex has tennis courts and outdoor pool.
- Hotel da Aldeia 3* – Outdoor pools, tennis court, mini-golf, restaurants, children’s club. Located on the Strip in Areias de São João.
Hotels within 10 minutes walk of Albufeira Strip
- Tropical Sol 4* – Self catering studios and apartments for up to 6 people. Outdoor pool, bar, games room. Great reviews!
- Areias Village Aparthotel 4* – Apartments for up to 3 people, outdoor pool, restaurant, bar, children’s playground, games room
- Luna Forte da Oura apartments 4* – 1 bed apartments for 4 to 6 people. Outdoor pool, bar. Near the bottom of the strip and just 5 to 10 minute walk to Oura beach
- Hotel Topazio 3* – Self catering apartments and 1 bed villas. Outdoor pool, mini-golf, children’s playground, restaurant, bar.
- Clube Ouratlantico 3* – Self catering apartments for up to 6 people. 500m from Oura beach. Indoor and outdoor pools, tennis, bar
- Oura-View Beach Club3* – Self-catering studios and apartments for up to 6 people at Oura beach. Indoor and outdoor pools, spa, restaurant, bar.
- Soldoiro Apartments 3* – Self catering studios and apartments for up to 6 people just a couple of minutes from Oura beach. Outdoor pool. children’s playground, games room, bar.
- Interjumbria – Golden Beach Apartments 3* – 1 and 2 bed apartments for up to 4 adults and 2 children. Outdoor pool, bar. 2 minutes from beach!
- Ourasol apartments 3* – 1 and 2 bed apartments for up to 6 people. Outdoor pool, bar
- Clube Praia da Oura and Oura Praia Hotel 3* – Direct access to the beach! Studio and 1 bed apartments, 2 outdoor pools, tennis, children’s playground, fitness centre, restaurant, bars.
- Quinta Pedra dos Bicos 4* – Self catering apartments and villas for up to 12 people. 2 Outdoor pools, children’s playground, bar. 200 metres from the beach!
- Aqua Pedra dos Bicos 4* – Hotel with outdoor pool, restaurant and bar. Direct access to beach just 200 metres away.
Is the Strip your holiday paradise?
Albufeira Strip in general is simply packed with bars, restaurants, clubs, shops and activity ticket vendors. In square metres, the Strip itself doesn’t account for much of Albufeira’s far reaching holiday resort, however popularity has spread because for thousands of holidaymakers, it has everything needed to make the perfect holiday in the sun!
If you’re looking for relaxation and Portuguese culture, then the Strip is not for you; but if you’re looking for endless options for dining out (including great value full English breakfasts), themed pubs and bars, cheap drinks and partying until the cows come home, then the Strip is definitely your holiday paradise!
Bars and restaurants on the Strip
The owners of the bars and restaurants on the Strip, many of them expats, make you feel at home straight away and enjoy nothing more than some friendly chatter, watching the sports on TV and getting to know you. All ages are welcome, kids menus with fries, nuggets and pizza are widely available at a great price and for adult holidays there are happy hours, strip clubs and late night partying on balmy summers evening.
Prices in the restaurants on the Strip vary quite a lot, with some charging €8 or €9 for a starter and €15+ for a main course but you can also get some really cheap meals (€6 for 3 courses in some establishments!) and some bars on the Strip even offer large beers for as little as €0.99 in Happy Hour!
The nearest beach to Albufeira Strip
Praia da Oura, which is down quite a steep hill from the roundabout by Wild & Co, is a gorgeous, sandy bay complete with restaurants and bars along the promenade and all sorts of watersports. There is limited parking on the road side but there is a large paying car park (signposted on the left going down) and the entrance is just a few metres from the eastern end of the promenade.
Getting from the Strip to Albufeira Old Town
The Albufeira tourist train stops at The Strip in Areias de São João and is very handy for travelling to Albufeira Old Town and to Modelo supermarket and the nearby shops. It runs regularly throughout the day until late at night and the all day ticket is great value for money!
Albufeira buses are cheap, efficient and offer an easy way of travelling between the Strip and other areas of Albufeira!