Useful information for a trip to AlvorUseful information about Alvor at a glance - Travel information, contact telephone numbers, tourist information contacts, opening times & more! Enjoy Alvor with AlgarveUncovered.com
Here you will find lots of useful information for your holiday in Alvor, in western Algarve, Portugal! See how to get to Alvor from Faro Airport by bus or taxi and how much it costs, print off useful telephone numbers to take with you on holiday and see where the tourist information office is. You can also check out the opening hours for supermarkets in Alvor.
Plan your journey from the Algarve’s international airport in Faro with our Alvor travel information!
- Distance from Faro Airport to Alvor: 74 km
- Travel from Faro to Alvor by Train: No direct train to Alvor; Get the train to Portimão (regional train 6€) then a bus to Alvor (1,50 €)
- Travel from Faro to Alvor by Bus: No direct bus to Alvor; Get a bus to Portimão (5,50€) then change bus to Alvor (1,50€)
- Travel from Faro to Alvor by Taxi: 74€ for a 4 seater Mon-Fri 6am-9pm (88€ outside this time and bank holidays); 96€ or 113€ for a 6 seater depending on time.
To get to Faro train or bus station (which are close to each other just before Faro marina) either get the bus from the airport (the stop is right outside the ‘arrivals’ doors) and will cost you around 1.95€, or get a taxi at a cost of around 10€. To check train timetables visit Comboios de Portugal. (the site is available in English) and select ‘Regional and Inter Regional services’ to get the timetable for Lagos/Vila Real de Santo António/Lagos.
For bus timetables visit Eva Bus. Again most of it is available in English except the ‘frequency’ on the tables. (Days of the week: Monday is the 2nd day of the week – ‘2as’-and Friday is the 6th day. ‘Sábado’ and ‘Domingo’ – Saturday and Sunday; ‘Feriados’ is holidays; ‘Diariamente’ is daily,). Bus times from the ‘aeroporto’ to Faro are also listed .
For additional bus timetables visit Frotazul Algarve which covers a limited area of the Algarve.
*We quote Comboios de Portugal (regional) and Eva Transports pricing and prices of the standard taxi firms that work at Faro Airport. Please note that prices may vary.
Book Algarve car hire to travel to Alvor!
If you want to book Algarve car hire to travel to Alvor then it couldn’t be easier! Simply collect your car from Faro Airport and enjoy a straightforward drive through central and western Algarve to Alvor, either down the A22 motorway (a toll road) or down the secondary N125 road.
Uncovered! Get the best deal on your Algarve car rental & compare rates with leading suppliers such as Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Thrifty, Guerin and Goldcar!
Local buses between Alvor and Portimão
Portimão has a network of local buses that make it very easy to get around the local area very cheaply..always a benefit! The network is called ‘Vai e Vem’ and the cost per journey is 1,50€ or you can buy a daily ticket for 3,00
These five routes run Monday to Friday:
11 Fortaleza (Praia da Rocha) – Penina and stops include the Museum, Largo do Dique and Portimão market
12 R. Hortas – Montes de Alvor
13 Largo do Dique – Alvor (centre) stops include Portimonense football stadium and Hospital Particular in Alvor
14 Largo do Dique – Alvor (marginal) stops include Portimonense, Auditorium, Praia do Vau, Prainha, Torre C, Hotel D.Joao ll, Dunas do Alvor, Sports Complex and river front.
15 Portimão Hospital – Alvor Sports Complex stops include Montes de Alvor, Alvor Campsite, Alvor centre and Dunas do Alvor
and there is one route on weekends and holidays:
1P Largo do Dique – Alvor centre. Stops include Patio da Rocha, Tres Castelos, Praia do Vau, Prainha, Hotel D.Joao ll, Dunas do Alvor, Sports Complex, Alvor river front.
More information about timetables and tickets is available at Frota Azul in Largo do Dique, Portimão.
Portimão doesn’t have a bus station but the main stops are on the waterfront with Vai e Vem bus stops in Largo do Dique and other buses on Avenida Guanaré near the Repsol petrol station.
Useful Telephone Numbers for Alvor
Emergency Numbers: Dial 112 for Police, Ambulance and Fire from any phone (free)
- GNR (Police):Tel. 282 420 750
- District Hospital Portimão: Tel. 282 450 300
- Hospital Particular (private hospital), Estrada de Alvor, 8500-322, Alvor.
Tel: 707 28 28 28 / Mobile: 966 087 868
- Bombeiros (Firefighters): Tel. 282 420 130
- Health centre: Tel. 282 459 268
- Health centre in Mexilhoeira Grande: Tel. 282 968 133
- Pharmacy: Tel. 282 459 588
- Cruz Vermelha Portuguesa (Red Cross) in Lagos: Tel. 282 760 611
- Tourist support services Tel: 808 781 212
Note: Just remember, if you are calling from a foreign mobile phone in the Algarve, Portugal, you will need to dial 00351 in front of the numbers here.
Alvor Tourist Information Office
Posto de Turismo de Alvor
Rua Dr. Afonso Costa nº 51
8500-016 Alvor, Portugal.
Tel. 351 282 457 540
- Pingo Doce, Estrada de Alvor, Lote do Rossio de S.Pedro Lazaredo (in the direction of Penina, near the campsite). Open daily from 9am to 9pm.