Useful information for a trip to FaroUseful information about Faro at a glance - Travel information, contact telephone numbers, tourist information contacts, opening times & more! Enjoy Faro with AlgarveUncovered.com
Here you will find lots of useful information for your holiday in Faro, in central Algarve, Portugal! See how to get to Faro centre from Faro Airport by transfer, bus or taxi and how much it costs, print off useful telephone numbers to take with you on holiday and see where the tourist information office is. You can also check out the opening hours for the supermarkets in Faro and see the timetable for the tourist train.
Plan your journey from Faro Airport to the city centre with our Faro travel information!
- Faro airport is 7kms from the town. There is a regular bus service to the bus and train stations from right outside the airport and the fare is around 2€.
- A taxi into the town from the airport: 10€ / 12€ for a 4 or 6 seater (6am to 9pm weekdays); 11€ / 14€ (outside of this time and weekends and holidays).
To get to Faro train or bus station (which are close to each other just before Faro marina) either get the bus from the airport (the stop is right outside the ‘arrivals’ doors) and will cost you around 1.95€, or get a taxi at a cost of around 10€. To check train timetables visit the CP – Comboios de Portugal. (the site is available in English) and select ‘Regional and Inter Regional services’ to get the timetable for Lagos/Vila Real de Santo António/Lagos.
For bus timetables visit Eva Bus. Again most of it is available in English except the ‘frequency’ on the tables. (Days of the week: Monday is the 2nd day of the week – ‘2as’-and Friday is the 6th day. ‘Sábado’ and ‘Domingo’ – Saturday and Sunday; ‘Feriados’ is holidays; ‘Diariamente’ is daily,). Bus times from the ‘aeroporto’ to Faro are also listed .
For additional bus timetables visit Frotazul Algarve which covers a limited area of the Algarve.
*We quote Comboios de Portugal (regional) and Eva Transports pricing and prices of the standard taxi firms that work at Faro Airport. Please note that prices may vary.
Faro also has a local minibus network for ease of travel around the city and the timetables are available on the Eva bus website under “Carrreiras Urbanas”.
Book Algarve car hire to travel around Faro!
If you want to book Algarve car hire to travel around Faro then it couldn’t be easier! Simply collect your car from Faro Airport and the town centre is just a few kilometres away. If you want to explore the Algarve, you can enjoy a straightforward journey along the A22 motorway (a toll road) or down the secondary N125 road.
Uncovered! Get the best deal on your Algarve car rental & compare rates with leading suppliers such as Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Thrifty, Guerin and Goldcar!
Useful Telephone Numbers for Faro
Emergency Numbers: Dial 112 for Police, Ambulance and Fire from any phone (free)
- GNR (police): Tel. 289 887 603
- PSP (police): Tel. 289 899 899
- Bombeiros Municipal: Tel. 289 888 000
- Bombeiros Voluntários: Tel. 289 823 630
- Health Centre: 289 826 358
- Faro district hospital: Tel.289 803 411
- Santa Maria Private Hospital: Tel. 289 892 040
- Red Cross in Faro: 289 899 900
- Pharmacy Alexandre, Rua Ivens 39: Tel. 289 823 667
- Pharmacy Helena, Largo do Mercado,69: Tel. 289 823 667
- Rádio Taxis: Tel. 289 895 790
- Tourist support services: Tel. 808 718 212
Note: Just remember, if you are calling from a foreign mobile phone in the Algarve, Portugal, you will need to dial 00351 in front of the numbers here.
Faro Tourist Information Office
Posto de Turismo de Faro
Rua da Misericórdia 8 -12
8000-269 Faro, Portugal.
Tel. 351 289 803 604
9.30 to 13.00 and 14.00 to 17.30.
Monday to Friday only.
Faro Tourist Train
The tourist train (‘comboio turístico’) is a great way to travel around a town and helps visitors to get a feel for an area, which can be really useful on arrival, as well as providing cheap travel throughout a holiday.
Faro tourist train information:
– The train runs at one hour intervals from 10am to 5pm (stopping for lunch 1 -2pm).
– The tour starts and finishes from the square opposite the tourist information office.
Please note: Some tourist train organisations may reserve the right to cancel tours without prior notice, due to the maintenance of the vehicles, weather conditions or insufficient number of passengers.
- Pingo Doce – Edf. Tridente – R. Cândido Guerreiro and also Estádio S. Luís – Estrada da Penha. Opening hours daily : winter: 8.30h to 20.30h, summer: 8.30h to 21.00h.
- Modelo – Urbanização Vale da Amoreira, Freguesia da Sé. Opening hours daily including holidays: 9.00h to 22.00h.
- Lidl -Bom João and also Vale Carneiros. Opening hours daily (including Sundays and holidays): 9.00h to 21.00h
- Hipermercado Jumbo at Forum Algarve: Sunday to Thursday 09.00 to 23.00, Fridays, Saturdays and the day before holidays 09.00 to 24.00.
- SPAR Urb Quinta do Alto, Lote 38.