Useful information for a trip to LagosUseful information about Lagos at a glance - Travel information, contact telephone numbers, tourist information contacts, opening times & more! Enjoy Lagos with AlgarveUncovered.com
Here you will find lots of useful information for Lagos, in western Algarve, Portugal! See how to get to Lagos from Faro Airport by bus, train or taxi and how much it costs, print off useful telephone numbers to take with you on holiday and see where the tourist information office is. You can also check out the opening hours for the supermarkets in Lagos and see details about the tourist train.
Plan your journey from the Algarve’s international airport in Faro with our Lagos travel information!
- Distance from Faro Airport to Lagos: 90km
- Travel from Faro to Lagos by Train: 7,30€ (regional train)
- Travel from Faro to Lagos by Bus: 5,90€
- Travel from Faro to Lagos by Taxi: 87€ for a 4 seater Mon-Fri 6am-9pm (104€ outside this time and bank holidays); 112€ or 134€ for a 6 seater depending on time
(*taxis may charge an extra 11.40€ for motorway tolls)
Faro to Lagos by Train:
- To get from Faro Airport to Faro train station (which is just before Faro marina) either get the bus from the airport (the stop is right outside the ‘Arrivals’ doors) and will cost you around 1.95€, or get a taxi at a cost of around 10€.
- Trains from Faro to Lagos run at intervals throughout the day and the journey takes around 1 hour and 40 minutes.
→ The train station in Lagos is just behind the marina and it is a very short walk across the marina bridge to the Avenida dos Descobrimentos.
- To check train timetables visit CP – Comboios de Portugal (the site is available in English) and select ‘Regional and Inter Regional services’ to get the timetable for Lagos / Vila Real de Santo António / Lagos.
Faro to Lagos by Bus:
- To get from Faro Airport to Faro bus station (which is just before Faro marina) either get the bus from the airport (the stop is right outside the ‘Arrivals’ doors) and will cost you around 1.95€, or get a taxi at a cost of around 10€.
- Buses from Faro to Lagos also run at intervals throughout the day and the journey takes around 2 hours and 10 minutes.
- For Algarve bus timetables visit Eva Bus.
→ Most of the Eva Bus site is available in English except the ‘frequency’ on the tables.
→ Note: Days of the week in Portugal: Monday is the 2nd day of the week – ‘2as’- and Friday is the 6th day. ‘Sábado’ and ‘Domingo’ – Saturday and Sunday; ‘Feriados’ is holidays; ‘Diariamente’ is daily.
→ Bus times from Faro Airport (‘Aeroporto’) to Faro centre are also listed.
- For additional bus timetables visit Frotazul Algarve which covers a limited area of the Algarve.
* We quote Comboios de Portugal (regional) and Eva Transports pricing and prices of the standard taxi firms that work at Faro Airport. Please note that prices may vary.
Book Algarve car hire to travel to Lagos!
If you want to book Algarve car hire to travel to Lagos then it couldn’t be easier! Simply collect your car from Faro Airport and enjoy a leisurely coastal drive to Lagos, either down the A22 motorway (a toll road) or down the secondary N125 road.
Uncovered! Get the best deal on your Algarve car rental & compare rates with leading suppliers such as Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Thrifty, Guerin and Goldcar!
Local buses in Lagos
The ‘Onda’ network of local buses in Lagos make it very easy to get around (very cheaply). Lagos Onda has 8 routes but with the addition of a special summer evening route (‘Onda Verão’) that runs for July and August:
→ Onda Verão – Between Porto de Mós and Forte da Meia Praia every half hour from 20.30 to midnight with stops including Forte da Meia Praia, Jardim das Dunas, Hotel Marina, stops along the Avenida dos Descobrimentos, Praia de Dona Ana, Torraltinha, Praia do Porto de Mos, and the train station.
- Onda Vermelha (linha 1) – A circular route around Lagos town – Starting at the school at the back of the marina with stops at the Sports Complex, along the Av. dos Descobrimentos, the market at St. Amaro and Hospital S.Goncalo (amongst others!) before returning to the school at the back of the marina.
- Onda Azul (linha 2) – Between Meia Praia and Porto de Mós – Starting at the far end of Meia Praia at the fort with stops at Jardim das Dunas, the marina end (only) of the Av. dos Descobrimentos, the Sports Complex ‘The Chairs’ roundabout, the health centre, Torraltinha, Dona Ana (amongst others) and finally at Porto de Mós.
- Onda Rosa (linha 3) – Between Lagos, Chinicato and Odiáxere – Starting at Praça Infante D. Henrique, with stops along the Av. dos Descobrimentos, the Sports Complex, the aerodrome, Chinicato, Torre, Vale da Igreja, Urb. Vale S. Francisco and finally Odiáxere.
- Onda Amarela (linha 4) – Between Lagos and Almádena – Starting at Praca Infante D. Henrique with stops at the ‘Ball’ roundabout, Parque da Cidade, the Health centre, Boavista (golf resort), Valverde, Luz market, Luz church, Belavista hotel, Calicos, Espiche,Cerro dos Vales and finally at Almádena.
- Onda Laranja (linha 5) – Between Lagos and Montes Juntos – Starting at Praça Infante D. Henrique, along the Av.dos Descobrimentos, past the aerodrome, through Chinicato, Sargaçal to Montes Juntos.
- Onda Verde (linha 6) – Between Lagos and Barão S. João – Starting at Praça Infante D. Henrique, along the Av. dos Descobrimentos, to the Sports Complex, then out to Paraiso, Bensafrim, Monte Figueiras, Zoo Lagos and finally Barão de S. João.
- Onda Castanha (linha 7) – Between Lagos and Colégio – Starting at Praça Infante D. Henrique, with stops along the Av. dos Descobrimentos , the Sports Complex, Portelas, Monte Judeu, Colégio, Caliço and back to Monte Judeu.
- Onda Lilás (linha 8) – Between Gil Eanes Secondary School and Colinas Verdes – Including stops at S. Gonçalo hospital, Torraltinha, Bombeiros (fire station), Praça D.Henrique, along the front to the Sports Complex, along the EN125 through Chinicato,Torre, Odiáxere, Farta Vacas, Monte Ruivo, Cotifo to Colinas Verdes.
Apart from the summer ‘Onda Verão’ service, Lagos Onda buses run between 7am and 8pm every day (the last circuit starts around 7.15pm) with restricted services on Sundays and holidays.
See Lagos Travel by Onda Bus for timetables (horários), routes (linhas) and current fares (tarifários) for travel information around Lagos!
→ All the lines call at the Sports Complex and all but the Azul line call at the Praça Infante D. Henrique so it is easy to change between lines.
→ The train station in Lagos is just behind the marina and it is a very short walk across the marina bridge to the Avenida dos Descobrimentos to catch any of the buses for onward travel.
Useful Telephone Numbers for Lagos
Emergency Numbers: Dial 112 for Police, Ambulance and Fire from any phone (free)
- GNR (Police): Tel. 282 762 809
- PSP (Police): Tel. 282 762 930
- Bombeiros (Firefighters): Tel. 282 770 790
- Lagos District Hospital: Tel. 282 770 100
- Private Hospital São Gonçalo de Lagos: Tel. 282 760 181
- Health Centre: Tel. 282 780 000
- Cruz Vermelha Portuguesa (Red Cross): Tel 282 760 611
- Taxis – Cooperativa Lagos: Tel. 282 763 587
- Tourist support services: Tel. 808 781 212
Note: Just remember, if you are calling from a foreign mobile phone in the Algarve, Portugal, you will need to dial 00351 in front of the numbers here.
Lagos Tourist Information Office
Posto de Turismo de Lagos
Praça Gil Eanes
Tel. 351 282 763 031
This is in the central square in Lagos and open from 09.30 to 18.00 daily but closed for lunch between 13.00 and 14.30
Lagos Tourist Train
The tourist train (‘comboio turístico’) is a great way to travel around a town and helps visitors to get a feel for an area, which can be really useful on arrival, as well as providing cheap travel throughout a holiday.
Lagos tourist train information:
- Departs from the marina, runs along the waterfront, up the hill to Praia Dona Ana and stops at Ponta da Piedade before turning round to go back.
- Runs for approximately 30 minutes.
- Runs daily from 10am to 6pm (with a stop for lunch 12-2pm) last return from Ponta da Piedade is at 19.25pm.
- The price is €3.50 for an all day ticket, under 5’s go free.
Please note: Some tourist train organisations may reserve the right to cancel tours without prior notice, due to the maintenance of the vehicles, weather conditions or insufficient number of passengers.
- Pingo Doce -at the entrance to Lagos, opposite the marina. Opening hours winter: 8.30-20.30h; summer: 8.00 -21.00h.
- Pingo Doce (formerly Plus) – over the bridge from the main Pingo Doce and straight across the roundabout, through the traffic lights and it is on the left, but you will need to go to the next roundabout and come back as you can’t turn across the road. Opening hours winter: 8.30h to 20.30h Summer hours: 8.00h to 21.00h.
Sundays and holiday 8.30 to 21.00
- Lidl – carry on from Pingo Doce (formerly Plus) to the next roundabout and it is on the right. Open every day to 9pm including Sundays.
- Intermarché – up the hill from Lidl, straight across ‘The Chairs’ roundabout to the next roundabout, turn left and a short distance along turn right at the traffic lights and it is on your right. Open daily until 9pm.
- Continente – from the Lidl go up to the ‘Chairs’ roundabout and turn right, follow the road and it is on the right. Opening hours: 9.00h to 22.00h. The store also includes Worten (white goods & electrical), Sportszone, a para farmacia and Mo clothing.
- Aldi – is just before Modelo (right at the Chairs). Open daily until 21.00
- SPAR – Rua Ponta da Trindade just before the campsite.
Lagos car parks
Lagos has plenty of car parking space handy for the town centre with underground car parks (paying) on the Avenida dos Descobrimentos (the water front road) – the entrance is near the courthouse – and another one at the back of the town just outside the city walls. There is a roundabout at the beginning of Estrada da Ponta de Piedade with a turning towards an arch in the city wall and the car park is on the left just before the arch. There is more car parking behind the marina which is free although limited in space.
All parking spaces along the Avenida dos Descobrimentos are pay and display.