Useful information for a trip to PortimaoUseful information about Portimao at a glance - Travel information, contact telephone numbers, tourist information contacts, opening times & more! Enjoy Portimao with AlgarveUncovered.com
Here you will find lots of useful information for your holiday in Portimão, in western Algarve, Portugal! See how to get to Portimão from Faro Airport by transfer, bus or taxi and how much it costs and print off useful telephone numbers to take with you on holiday. There is also information about the supermarkets in Portimão and the tourist information office.
Travel Information: Faro to Portimão
Plan your journey from the Algarve’s international airport in Faro with our Portimão travel information!
- Distance from Faro to Portimão: 71 km
- Travel from Faro to Portimão by Train: 6,00€ (regional train)
- Travel from Faro to Portimão by Bus: 5.50€.
- Transfer from Faro to Portimão by Taxi: 70€ for a 4 seater Mon-Fri 6am-9pm (84€ outside this time and bank holidays); 90€ or 108€ for a 6 seater depending on time.
To get to Faro train or bus station (which are close to each other just before Faro marina) either get the bus from the airport (the stop is right outside the ‘arrivals’ doors) and will cost you around 1.95€, or get a taxi at a cost of around 10€. To check train timetables visit CP – Comboios de Portugal. (the site is available in English) and select ‘Regional and Inter Regional services’ to get the timetable for Lagos/Vila Real de Santo António/Lagos.
For bus timetables visit Eva Bus. Again most of it is available in English except the ‘frequency’ on the tables. (Days of the week: Monday is the 2nd day of the week – ‘2as’-and Friday is the 6th day. ‘Sábado’ and ‘Domingo’ – Saturday and Sunday; ‘Feriados’ is holidays; ‘Diariamente’ is daily,). Bus times from the ‘aeroporto’ to Faro are also listed .
For additional bus timetables visit Frotazul Algarve which covers a limited area of the Algarve.
*We quote Comboios de Portugal (regional) and Eva Transports pricing and prices of the standard taxi firms that work at Faro Airport. Please note that prices may vary.
Book Algarve car hire to travel to Portimão!
If you want to book Algarve car hire to travel to Portimão then it couldn’t be easier! Simply collect your car from Faro Airport and travel down the A22 motorway (a toll road) or down the secondary N125 road to Portimão in western Algarve.
Uncovered! Get the best deal on your Algarve car rental & compare rates with leading suppliers such as Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Thrifty, Guerin and Goldcar!
Useful Telephone Numbers for Portimão
Emergency Numbers: Dial 112 for Police, Ambulance and Fire from any phone (free)
- GNR (Police) Tel: 282 417 217 / 282 418 218
- Maritime Police Tel: 282 417 714
- Bombeiros (Firefighters) Tel: 282 420 130
- District Hospital Tel: 282 450 334
- Hospital Particular do Algarve (Private) Tel: 282 420 400
- Health Centre Tel: 282 420 160
- Cruz Vermelha Portuguesa (Red Cross)Tel: 282 760 611
- Rádio Táxis Arade de Portimão Tel: 282 460 610
- Fármacia Moderna (pharmacy) Tel: 282 424 228
- Fármacia Rosa Nunes (pharmacy) Tel: 282 422 653
- Tourist Support Services Tel: 808 781 212
Note: Just remember, if you are calling from a foreign mobile phone in the Algarve, Portugal, you will need to dial 00351 in front of the numbers here.
Portimão Tourist Information Office
Portimão Tourist Information Office:
TEMPO (Portimão Theatre),
Largo 1º Dezembro.
Tel: 351 282 402 487
Monday to Friday: 9.30 to 18.30
Saturday: 9.30 to 13.00 and 14.00 to 18.30
Portimão has a network of local buses that make it very easy to get around very cheaply..always a benefit! The network, currently consisting of 14 routes (linhas) is called ‘Vai e Vem’ and the cost per journey is 1,50€ or you can buy a daily ticket for 3,00€ All the buses on the Vai e Vem network have ramps and areas for people with reduced mobility. You can see the local Portimão bus routes and timetables in full on the Vai e Vem page of the local council website but we’ve summarised the main routes likely to be of interest to visitors here:
6) Largo do Dique – Hospital via Est.Alvor (Monday to Friday) stops include the train station and Fairs and Exhibitions Park.
- Pingo Doce – R. José António Marques. Opening hours daily – winter: 8.30 to 20.30; summer: 8.00
– Av. Dr. Francisco Sá Carneiro. Opening hours daily – winter: 9.00 to 20.30; summer: 8.30 to 21.00 and July and August: 8.30 to 21.30.
– Lugar dos Craveiros, Av. V 6, Lote 1 : Opening hours daily (including Sundays and holidays): 9.00 to 21.00; Summer: 8.300 to 22.00.
- Continente – EN 124,Quinta da Malata. Monday – Saturday: 9.00 to 23.00. Sundays and holidays: 9.00 to 13.00.
- Jumbo – Aqua Portimão Shopping centre. Sunday to Thursday 09.00 to 23.00. Friday, Saturday and day before holidays 09.00 to 24.00. July, August and December 09.00 to 24.00 every day.
- Intermarche – EN125. Opening hours 09.00 to 21.00 (Also Bricomarche – DIY / gardening and Roady – motor accessories etc.)
- SPAR– Largo do Dique, Casa do Rio, Loja L. Opening hours 08:00 to 20:00.